I have published two research monographs. My latest book Population Genetics and Belonging: A Cultural Analysis of Genetic Ancestry (Palgrave Macmillan, 2018) explores how human population genetics has emerged as a means of imagining and enacting belonging in contemporary societies. It approaches population genetics as an evolving set of technological, material, narrative and affective practices, arguing that these practices are engaged in multiple forms of belonging that are often mutually contradictory.
My first book Gender, Sexuality and Reproduction in Evolutionary Narratives (Routledge, 2013; paperback edition 2017) examined the popularity of evolutionary psychological explanations of gender and sexuality by analyzing their commitments to and revisions of the Darwinian narrative tradition. Through a range of popular, literary and scientific texts, the book identifies shifts, patterns and variations in how evolution is discussed and debated across science and society.
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- Post-Pandemic Futures and the Affective Appeal of Immunity. lambda nordica 26.2-3 (2021): 21-46. Open access.
- Conceptualizing Histories of Multispecies Entanglements: Ancient Pathogen Genomics and the Case of Borrelia recurrentis. Journal of Social Archaeology 21.2 (2021): 197–215. Special Issue on aDNA, edited by Anna Källén, Charlotte Mulcare, Andreas Nyblom and Daniel Strand. Open access.
- The 2009 H1N1 Pandemic, Vaccine-Associated Narcolepsy and the Politics of Risk and Harm. Health: An Interdisciplinary Journal for the Social Study of Health, Illness and Medicine 26.2 (2022): 162-180. First published online 2020. Open access.
- (with Mianna Meskus) Embodied Material Encounters and the Ambiguous Promise of Biomedical Futures: The Case of Biologically Derived Medicines. New Genetics and Society. E-pub ahead of print. Open access.
- Entanglements of Time, Temperature, Technology and Place in Ancient DNA Research: The Case of the Denisovan Hominin. Science, Technology, & Human Values 45.6 (2020): 1119-1141. Open access.
- Partial Immunities: Rethinking Communities and Belonging through Viral Memories of Influenza. Feminist Encounters: A Journal of Critical Studies in Culture and Politics2.2 (2018). Special issue on “Feminist Encounters with the Medical Humanities,” eds. Sherri L. Foster and Jana Funke. Open Access.
- Affect, Technoscience and Textual Analysis: Interrogating the Affective Dynamics of the Zika Epidemic through Media Texts. Social Studies of Science 47.5 (2017): 681-702.
- Temporality and Belonging as Transdisciplinary Phenomena: Strategic Encounters between Queer Theory and Population Genetic Technologies. Catalyst: Feminism, Theory, Technoscience. 3.1 (2017). Special issue on “Science out of Feminist Theory”, eds. Banu Subramaniam and Angela Willey. Open Access.
- Mitochondrial Eve and the Affective Politics of Human Ancestry. Signs 40.3 (2015): 747-772. Winner of the 2015 Catharine Stimpson Prize for Outstanding Feminist Scholarship.
- The Politics of Becoming Different: Rethinking Evolution through Population Genetics. Feminist Theory 16.2 (2015): 189–206.
- Kennewick Man and the Evolutionary Origins of the Nation. Journal of American Studies 48.1 (2014): 275–290.
- Narrative Analysis as a Feminist Method: The Case of Genetic Ancestry Tests. European Journal of Women’s Studies 20.3 (2013): 295–308.
- Competing Truths: Epistemic Authority in Popular Science Books on Human Sexuality. European Journal of English Studies 17.3 (2013): 283–294.
- Mutations of Romance: Evolution, Infidelity, and Narrative. Modern Fiction Studies 56.3 (2010): 592–613.
- Narrating Descent: Popular Science, Evolutionary Theory and Gender Politics. Science as Culture 18.1 (2009): 1–21.
- (with Luna Dolezal, Lisa Folkmarson Käll, Donna McCormack and Margrit Shildrick) Special Issue of lambda nordica on Queering Health and Biomedicine (2021). Open access.
- (with Luna Dolezal) Special Section: Self-Tracking, Embodied Differences, and the Politics and Ethics of Health. In the Spring 2021 Issue of Catalyst: Feminism, Theory, Technoscience. Open access.
OTHER ACADEMIC PUBLICATIONS
- Gender, Ethology, and Evolution. The International Encyclopedia of Anthropology. Wiley. 2021.
PUBLICATIONS IN FINNISH
- (with Kuura Irni & Mianna Meskus) (eds) Muokattu elämä: Teknotiede, sukupuoli ja materiaalisuus [Moulded Life: Technoscience, Gender and Materiality]. Tampere: Vastapaino, 2014.
- Geneettiset alkuperätestit ja juurien etsintä. [Genetic Ancestry Tests and the Search for Roots]. In S. Irni, M. Meskus & V. Oikkonen (eds) Muokattu elämä: Teknotiede, sukupuoli ja materiaalisuus. Tampere: Vastapaino, 2014. 342-379.
- (with Kuura Irni & Mianna Meskus) Teknotieteen, sukupuolen ja materiaalisuuden muunnelmat [Transformations of Technoscience, Gender and Materiality]. In S. Irni, M. Meskus & V. Oikkonen (eds) Muokattu elämä: Teknotiede, sukupuoli ja materiaalisuus. Tampere: Vastapaino, 2014. 1–47.